the smell of wet earth, kissing in the rain, ice cream, barefoot walks on the beach, cuddling on the couch, sexual tension, freedom, sleek cars, beautiful eyes, independence, intelligence, fresh air, wind through my hair, wit, assertiveness, computers, falling in love, music, foreign places, the unbeaten track, city life, debates, self confidence, the free spirited, women. Make of this list what you will.

Friday, February 10, 2006

I'm single and lovin' it

It’s almost that time of the year again. That day when you get reminded of just how alone you are with the subtlety of a sledgehammer on a newborn’s soft spot. Even as you tell anyone who would listen you are fine and definitely don’t need anyone your voice seems hollow and lacks any real conviction.

For some reason I have never dreaded that day like I do this year. It might have something to do with the fact that I no longer care much for the status quo. I’m finally ready to admit I yearn for something more. Something most take for granted but I’ve never experienced before – to feel loved and love unconditionally in return. I want to cast cute puppy eyes upon my loved one as s/he hands me a cheesy, oversized red and white heart-infested undergarment accompanied by a humungous heart-shaped slab of chocolate. I, in turn, will ceremoniously unveil my set of matching heart-shaped pendants engraved with our initials and a large bouquet of red roses for good measure.

But I guess it won’t be this year. This year, like all the ones before it, I will put on a brave face, muster as much conviction as I can infuse into one sentence and purposefully recite my mantra: I’m single and lovin' it.

2 Comments:

Blogger kyknoord said...

Commiserations comrade. A nice passive-aggressive trick is to cry a lot. It embarrasses the couples :-) Oh, this is rich: my 'verification' word is wnnkr

2/13/2006 9:15 AM

 
Blogger Bent Fabric said...

Partner or not, Valentine's Day is overrated, but I completely understand your sentiment.

{{{{Lyn}}}}

2/14/2006 12:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home