the smell of wet earth, kissing in the rain, ice cream, barefoot walks on the beach, cuddling on the couch, sexual tension, freedom, sleek cars, beautiful eyes, independence, intelligence, fresh air, wind through my hair, wit, assertiveness, computers, falling in love, music, foreign places, the unbeaten track, city life, debates, self confidence, the free spirited, women. Make of this list what you will.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Looking for the silver lining

My life has reached the pinnacle of boredom. Things cannot possibly get any worse. Well, that’s not entirely true. Just three days ago, I though that was it – I was living the lowest form of existence comparable to that of the common nasal snot. Then I ran out of water. So I thought ok now this must be it. Things can only go up from here. Surely. Please. Then today the power fails. This is not a joke people. I’m living by candle light and showering from water drawn out of a nearby well. All those filthy buckets being dipped into a bottomless cesspool of crap. I don’t think I properly thought things through when I decided to move back home. Really, this was not my idea of the African dream. I’ve always wanted to get in more touch with my roots and learn more about my culture. But frankly I think my patience is wearing thin. I’ll survive the mosquito bites and the lizards I chased out of my house the whole afternoon. I’ll even survive the neighbour that seems to do nothing all day but sit on his balcony waiting for me to walk by so he can throw lecherous looks my way. I’ll survive anything.
But I just can’t take this god damned monotony any longer.

2 Comments:

Blogger kyknoord said...

So I'm guessing you aren't humming any Vicky Sampson tunes at the moment.

3/03/2006 9:41 AM

 
Blogger Bent Fabric said...

Hope you find something soon to quell your boredom. I remember those days of not having power or water when I lived in JA so I can empathize. Hang in there!

xoxo

P.S. Blogger ate my first comment so if it's a double post it's not due to me being a moron.

3/18/2006 12:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home